Pani Puri is all time favorite at home and we normally have some Pani in the fridge. Making puris at home is something I do very rarely, I prefer the to buy them since it saves a lot of time. Once you have everything ready its quick to assemble.

Mama used to make the Pani with ginger, whereas at my In laws they put Garlic, hubby likes the taste of garlic so I make it with garlic and sometimes ginger. Feel free to use any one of these or both. For me it really does not matter I like it anyways.

Pani

Ingredients

1/4 cup Khatta Mitha Chutney(Tamarind chutney) (or to taste)
Jaggery/Gur to taste
black salt to taste
1/2 lime juice
1.5 litre or more water

Grind together to a coarse paste
1 bunch coriander leaves
1/2 bunch Mint leaves (Pudina)
10 to 12 black pepper corns
1 tsp cumin seeds
5 - 6 garlic pods (optional)
1 inch ginger (optional)
5-6 green chilies

Method

  1. Place the ground paste in a wire strainer and place it on a large dish.
  2. Strain through a wire strainer, slowly keep pouring water and stirring slowly, collect the flavoured water in the large dish below. Stop once the ground masala loses color.
  3. Add the jaggery, black salt, Khatta Mitha Chutneyand lime juice. Mix well.
  4. Adjust seasonings.
  5. Cover and refrigerate till serving time.


Fillings
Many filling can be used to stuff the puris, below are listed few of them.

  • Boil potatoes and smash them, mix salt and red chili powder.
  • Soak some boondhi in water for 15 minutes. Drain and press lightly to remove the water. Add salt and red chili powder.
  • Mix Smashed Potatoes and soaked and drained boondi, add salt and red chili powder.
  • Can also add chopped onions.
  • Boiled black chana, mixed with salt and red chili powder.
  • Boiled full Moong Dal, mixed with salt and red chili powder.


Notes
  1. The ground masala can be refrigerated for a week or frozen for longer storage.
  2. Make sure the pani is cold, tastes best when its cold.
  3. Add some bhoondi to the pani just before serving, should be crisp.
  4. Make sure to keep some extra Khata Meetha chutney, if some one wants to add more.


This is my entry to the Herb Mania - Coriander, hosted by Siri of Siri's Corner. Herb Mania is an event started by Dee of Ammalu's kitchen

18 comments:

Bhawana said...

di this is very tempting and mouthwatering. I am feeling like having them instant. Too Good.And this is a new idea to me making pani. I have bookmarked, will try in this way.

Sangeeth said...

oh! Pani is my fav and i luv the ones served in the street shops...yum!

anudivya said...

That is a beautiful picture!

Unknown said...

I can have it anytime!

Meera said...

Delicious!! I am inviting myself to come over to your place!!!:-D

Suganya said...

O o... U r tempting me with ur pictures. Pani puri is my fav. Looks so good. YUM!

Indian Khana said...

Mouth watering pani puri...looks yummy....

Anonymous said...

This is the first time ur blog...& I love your pani puri recipe..one of my favorite!
Thanx for sharing!

Deepa Kuber said...

Pani puri looks good.. i too had made this last week, i had made puris at home, but they did come out well :( so i didnt post it.

Unknown said...

pani puri is my husband's fav and its a lovely pic too... thanks for stopping by!

Cham said...

They look divine

Vibaas said...

ooh my favorite. can i come over? :)

ST said...

Its my favorite and can eat it anytime....Looks mouth-drooling...

Dori said...

That looks so great, wish I had some now... I will have to go out and get some!

Vaishali said...

Medhaa, How lovely this looks! I've always loved pani puri, and now I have a recipe. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Do i need to say ,how much i m craving for these rt now?
So bad u didn't shared them with me:-(

vidhas said...

its my all time favourite.

Anonymous said...

can you please post the recipe of puris too? Thanks.

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria