Methi Paneer

Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese, by now I would have told umpteen times how much I love paneer I can not have enough of it. Mom used to make paneer at least 2 times a week and if papa has gone on tour then paneer may be made every day too. I was a fussy eater as a kid but mama would add paneer in most dishes so that I would eat something at least. Oh I so love it. Even when I go visiting all my uncles and aunts know what to cook for me and I make no fuss. I wont eat any other dish prepared and only the paneer. And in restaurants thats the only dish I order. That's the love I have for paneer. So when Vandana announced the Paneer-A delicacy I can not be happier. Thanks to mom we make paneer in varied forms and there is so much to share wish I could share everything. But for now one of my favorites Methi Paneer, which is quick to prepare and I love it since there is no grinding involved.



I do not prefer to fry the paneer for trying to make it a little healthy. All my paneer dishes so not ask for frying the paneer. But if you prefer feel free to fry the paneer. Some cases you do need to have the paneer crisp, or browned I will then just shallow fry it in little oil, or bake them.

Serves 8
Ingredients
400 gms paneer, cut into cubes.
2 onions, chopped
1 tomato, peeled and chopped
1 cup fresh methi leaves, chopped
2 green chili, chopped
2 inch ginger, grated
1 tbsp garlic paste, or crushed well
1/4 cup sour Cream / or thick curds
1/2 cup milk, or more
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chana masala, I also sometimes add King Khan Masala
salt to taste.
2 tsp oil

Method

  1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, ginger and green chili's. Cook till the ginger starts turning brown.
  2. Add the onions and cook till they are translucent.
  3. Add the coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric, sugar and Chana Masala/King Khan Masala. Cook for a minute till oil separates.
  4. Add the tomato and cook till oil separates, About 5 minutes.
  5. Add the methi and sour cream/thick curd.
  6. Once the methi wilts, add the paneer, salt and milk. Boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
  7. Add more milk if you want more gravy. Serve hot with roti, naan, puri etc.


Note: The gravy easily drys up, just before serving add some water or milk for creamier gravy and give it a boil.

More Paneer recipes
Palak Paneer
Paneer Malai Tikka
Paneer Makhanwala
Achari Paneer

14 comments:

A_and_N said...

Hi Medhaa, trust me, you are not the only one who cant get enough of paneer ;)
And this recipe is looks really interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

Cham said...

Paneer looks so good & deicious, did change again the template?

Vanamala Hebbar said...

This is lovely iam gona try ...

Anonymous said...

I love paneer. Your methi paneer looks delicious...

Uma said...

Wow, came back to the previous template? You did a good job Medhaa! I just love this template, especially the header. (Just my opinion).

Methi paneer is such a great idea! Looks awesome.

notyet100 said...

good one...

Kalai said...

Nice use of paneer, Medhaa! Looks delicious!! :)

Unknown said...

nice one...i am going to make this..i just bought methi yesterday..

Sum Raj said...

luved ur panner methi....delicious,rich and creamy...good entry for the event

Srivalli said...

hey that looks lovely!!..

Meera said...

I love paneer too. Methi paneer looks wonderful

Hyderabadiz said...

Hello, We are inviting you to VOTE for The BEST HYDERABADI BLOG 2008.
YOUR VOTE Will Help us find the TRUE COLORS OF HYDERABAD Bloggers.
Best wishes, MT & Team of Hyderabadiz

Vani said...

Love the flavor of methi with anything! And with paneer must be heavenly!

Anonymous said...

what a great looking dish. Never it. Yum!

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria