In the Rajma Chawara Post I spoke about the versatile masala, here again I use the same masala but change the quantities of the ingredients, I add more greens here to give that nice green color and less of Tomato. Rest everything remains the same except that now we cook the Lima beans in the gravy and not separately.
In Bangalore we used to get fresh avlaikai (hope I spelt it right) we used to cook them in this same gravy.



Ingredients
1 cup frozen Lima Beans
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
a pinch turmeric
salt to taste
fresh coriander leaves for garnish
lime juice as per taste

The Masala
To be ground to a paste
1 onion, chopped and fried till golden brown
1 onion, chopped
1/2 large tomato
1/4 cup curds/yogurt
4 garlic pods
1 inch ginger
2 green chilies
2 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
10 curry leaves
5 whole black pepper corns
2 green cardamom
1 inch Cinnamon sticks
2 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds

Method

  1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker, add coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Cook for 1 minute on low.
  2. Add the ground paste and cook on medium till the oil separates.
  3. Add the Lima beans along with 2 cups of water, and salt.
  4. Close the cooker and cook the Lima beans. (About 3 whistles)
  5. Let the steam out naturally.
  6. Check seasoning. Add lime juice. Boil till required consistency. Garnish with coriander leaves.
  7. Serve hot with cooked plain rice or phulka.

16 comments:

Cham said...

The green color is so pretty for this masala :) I love Lima Beans...

Meera said...

Loved your lima beans curry. Looks delicious. Must have tasted yummy!!

Sum Raj said...

the colour seems to be inviting me to have it....amazing recipe....

Unknown said...

nice gravy...looks very delicious!!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

I've never tried cooking w/ lima beans...this is a nice recipe to start with, i guess!! thanx!!

notyet100 said...

looks yummy,,never tried this beans,..

Anonymous said...

Hi medha,
Are these "falees"?
Anyways the colour looks so unique,
and i can imagine the flavors of all masalas with coconut and onion...feeling hungry :-(
I was wondering whether there need to be sum changes made if i use fresh falees

Illatharasi said...

Its sooo inviting.... but never tried this beans;)

Bhawana said...

hey Medha u r from bangalore??? two weeks back I came from thr. I am from UP. keep in touch. send me a mail on bhawana.1980@gmail.com. Dont know anybody in US, feeling very bore.

@the_whisk_affair said...

looks like u r quite a bean pro! good jon on the curry. the gravy sure looks rich and thick!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

I usually made sambar with lema beans...

Nice curry will try it suits for roti's

Vani said...

Love lima beans and the masala sounds yum! And it's "avarekai" but you were very close! :)

katturumb said...

Hi Medha,my Lima beans packet was sitting on the shelf for a while glaring down at me.Yesterday my search gave me this wonderful recipe of yours.Tried and came out well.
Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Omg! I dint know that we actually get avarakai here in the US until I saw this page. As soon as I saw this, I got frozen lima beans and tried your gravy. It came out very well and my husband loved it! thank you so much for the recipe.

Unknown said...

Omg! I actually dint know that we get averakai in the US until I saw this page. As soon as I saw this, I got lima beans and tried out your gravy. It came out very well and my husband loved it. Thank you so much for the recipe. :)

Sital said...

Thank you so much..I'm going to make this for dinner tonight! :)

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria