Bhinda in Sindhi is Okra, Ladies Finger. I always loved Bhinda in any form but my fav. were fried Bhinda with phulka. Bhinda always reminds me of that one evening when I fell asleep doing my Hindi Homework without having dinner. I woke up in the middle of the night very hungry and even at that hour mama cooked food for me. There was nothing ready so she fried the bhinda and made phulka, every time I remember that I realize the unconditional love mothers have for their children is something that no one will ever understand other than a mother. She still even at this age pampers me the same way.

Sindhi's Love frying most vegetables, but times have changed and due to health reasons there are many who avoid frying. For the authentic Sindhi recipe you will have to deep fry the bhindas before adding them to the gravy. I cook it in the gravy instead. The fried version does taste delicious any day but not so healthy. I have both versions below.

Ingredients
250 gms Bhinda - Okra
2 onions, chopped
2 tomatoes
1 inch ginger
2 green chilies
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
fresh coriander leaves for garnish

Method
Bhinda Preparation

  1. Wash the bhinda's well.
  2. Dry them completely using Kitchen towel.
  3. Cut the ends and discard.
  4. Cut the Bhindas in one inch pieces. Keep Aside
  5. For deep fried version: Deep fry them in medium heat in batches till they are soft and cooked well. Do not over cook them. If you like them to be crisp just increase the heat to high in the last 2 minutes of cooking and then remove and drain. Keep Aside. The Crisp version can be eaten just as it is mixed in little salt.


Gravy Preparation
  1. Puree the tomatoes, ginger and green chili together.
  2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
  3. Add the onions and cook on medium low till they are translucent.
  4. Add the coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Cook for minute till the oil separates.
  5. Add the pureed tomatoes. cook till the oil separates.
  6. Add the Bhinda's and salt. Mix well.
  7. If using fried bhindas, cover and cook on low for 5 minutes for the flavours to mingle. Do not over mix.
  8. If not using friend Bhindas, cover and cook for 15 minutes or till the bhindas are cooked completely. Keep Stirring in between.
  9. garnish with coriander leaves and serve along with Khichini, Boondhi Raita and papad.


Back to Sindhi Recipe List

17 comments:

Sangeeth said...

wow! ur pics makes me hungry! lovely recipe dear....luve oakra in any form..

notyet100 said...

ths version is new for me,.never tried ravy version of bhindi,..btw prepared gujarati bhindi today,, wil post soon

Sum Raj said...

bhindi masala look sperfect with the combo of raita and chappathi...comfort dinner...luved the presentation

Cham said...

That is confort food, i finish the plate without any problem!

Uma said...

mmm. another yummy recipe! I love all your recipes Medhaa! bhindi curry looks so delicious.

Vaishali said...

Delicious! I love okra and your recipe sounds spicy and wonderful. You can be sure I'll try this.

Anonymous said...

I love boondhi raitha with small puris. Looks good.

Anonymous said...

Your bhinda basar looks so good. will be nice with rice and chappathy.

karuna said...

never tried bhindi with tomatoes, this looks delish. i love bhindi too.

delhibelle said...

I love bhindi with tomato & onion and you have made it so delicious looking!

Anonymous said...

Hmm bhindi phulka is one regular item in my son's tiffin too,simple to make and he finds it easy to roll in roti and enjoy without getting clumsy in school recess
Bindi basar is also a very very regular thing cooked by me,i also love to add potato chunks to it(semi fried)it not only add volume ,but also give this a more distinct taste
Lovely presentation,i love eating spread like that....

Srivalli said...

lovely picture..and the dish sounds great!

ST said...

Bhindhi curry looks perfect and yummy......love the presentation....

Illatharasi said...

Wonderful thali.... everything is perfect... I love boondi raita picture.... so yummy:)

Shreya said...

Awesome picture.. i love bhindi in any form, and mixed with tomato onions is really great! I wish i could have that meal right now...

Bhawana said...

u r posting so fast, n my favourites are just increasing. These are very different. will try this for sure.

Indian Khana said...

Bindi looks nice and raitha along is great..

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria